Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:55:49 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync beta testers?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:17:32PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:

> Speaking of rsync:  ftp2.at.freebsd.org also offers rsync and currently
> has plenty of free ressources.  So anyone who'd love to sync from us is
> welcome.

Everyone,

If you already provide rsync access or if you want to feed other sites
with rsync like this the help is greatly appreciated.  But please make
sure it's done in such a way that only the Official Mirror Sites can
get to "staged" releases (files posted with "other" permission closed
down).  Usually this means if you have anonymous rsync enabled it runs
as a different user than you do your sync's as.  If you do down-feed
any Official Mirror Sites it can usually be done by running a separate
rsync on a non-standard port that has an acl.  If in doubt about
whether someone who asks is an Official site or not please ask
(mirror-admin@freebsd.org).

Sorry if that seems extreme, but the re@ folks need to have a clear
cut way to know that what gets staged to the main site does not become
public until they're ready for it.  In the past there have been times
when the release got prepped and they started to load it onto ftp-master
but then something nasty happened (sendmail bug is the one I remember)
and they needed to re-roll the release.  It's a Release Engineering
nightmare to have two different things out there that are considered
to be "the release"...

You also don't want to be the only site on the Internet that has the
release publically available and have someone notice that, who then
mentions it on slashdot...  :-/

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu