Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 96 13:26:32 PDT
From:      mishler@rcp6.elan.af.mil (Barry Mishler)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Infinite error loop with boot.flp

I hope I'm not wasting your time but I was really looking forward to
installing FreeBSD on my computer and I couldn't find any reference to my
particular problem in any of the documentation.

I have a Dell 100MHz Pentium with a 1.08GB Quantum Fireball followed by
a 1.6GB Western Digital drive on the first EIDE channel and nothing but an
NEC CDROM on the second channel.  I haven't decided whether to install by
FTP or CDROM yet.  I'm currently using Windows 95 if that makes any
difference.

I used rawrite to copy boot.flp
(ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp) to a floppy
and I used it to boot the computer.  I got the normal three or four lines
of header and usage info followed by the "boot:" prompt.  After about two
seconds, the screen filled with the line:
ERROR: C:0 H:0 S:0
repeated; obviously in an infinite loop.

I then brought the same boot disk to work and booted an old 486/33 here
and everything worked just fine.  Can I assume the disk is OK?

If you have any idea what's going on or if you can even tell me what to
read so that I might solve the problem, I would be very grateful.  If you
need additional information to make a determination, please tell me what
you need.

I very much look forward to a reply.

Humbly yours,

Barry Mishler