Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:33:41 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/lpt0 is still busy

	I've posted this before but I'm still unable to get my Hewlett Packard
Laserjet IIP to work.  Below is a copy of what comes up in dmesg when I
boot.  I have also turned on debugging on the parellel port thinking that
maybe the cable was bad.

options         LPT_DEBUG       # debug the blasted lpt device

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
out=55  in=55   tout=10000
out=aa  in=aa   tout=10000
out=fe  in=fe   tout=10000
out=fd  in=fd   tout=10000
out=fb  in=fb   tout=10000
out=f7  in=f7   tout=10000
out=ef  in=ef   tout=10000
out=df  in=df   tout=10000
out=bf  in=bf   tout=10000
out=7f  in=7f   tout=10000
out=1   in=1    tout=10000
out=2   in=2    tout=10000
out=4   in=4    tout=10000
out=8   in=8    tout=10000
out=10  in=10   tout=10000
out=20  in=20   tout=10000
out=40  in=40   tout=10000
out=80  in=80   tout=10000
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
oldirq 0
lpt0: Polled port
irq 0 0

	I have tried it in IRQ mode also.  Here are the exact commands that
give me /dev/lpt0 busy

lptest > /dev/lpt0

	I don't have anything in my /etc/printcap yet because I didn't think
anything was needed unless I'm using the lpr command.  There is paper in
the printer, the test pages print fine, and the online light is lit with
the words 00READY on the LED.  I have never set up a printer before on
FreeBSD, so if I'm making an obvious mistake here, go easy.:)

Ian