Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:24:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr (Theodore Hope)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downloading entire CD image by ftp?

> We plan to do an ftp installation of 3.2, but instead of doing it
> to ftp.freebsd.org, we'd like to have previously downloaded the
> entire contents to another local machine so that the installation
> will be faster.

While there are ISO CD images available, this is *not* what you are asking
for.

I am not aware of any single file which contains all the distribution files,
however its not too tough to replicate the 3.2-RELEASE directory on your
local system.  At a minimum, just pull down the contents of "bin".  The
distribution minus ports and packages contains 642 files, most of which
are in a single level below the release (release/bin release/src etc).
XFree86 has another level, and so is a little more work.  But not too bad.
If you create the directories, a decent ftp client will recursively retrieve
the files for you.

Jon Doran