Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:42:30 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Cc:        Aaron Benson <ab72@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Are you truly a M$ desktop alternative?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:41:54 +0200 (CEST)
"Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > This email is going to any Linux house whom has pitched themselves
> > via their websites and reviews, from my research as being possible
> > alternatives to XP at this stage. Depends on your Google hit and
> > thereafter (if found within 2 pages) site FAQ's I suppose.
> >
> > As a currently dedicated M$ house (apart from Oracle Databases),
> > we question the move to a XP desktop amid the Linux hype in recent
> > times. Any IT department trying to save company money is only
> > doing the right thing and ask the question, what can Linux do for
> > us?
>
> As mentioned before, FreeBSD is NOT Linux. Keep that in mind.
>
> > I've flipped through your FAQ's and over forums but result in no
> > answer for Active Directory 2K3 and Exchange 2K3 server client
> > connectivity, integration and functionality? Note that we have not
> > moved to these product versions yet. Hence this email.
>
> KDE's Kmail can connect to Exchange servers, I believe. As for
> logging into active directory ... That doesn't exist AFAIK. Perhaps
> there are programs that allow such things, but I wouldn't count on
> that. Windows is an excellent OS for integration with Active
> Directory.

AFAIK sylpheed-claws can too... IIRC Exchange is imap... or
something...

Windows see below for more info on active directory integration. :)

> > I ask because I cannot see a server based centralised
> > authentication and administrative option in Linux. If there were,
> > say a "centralised server option" for Linux, this would be
> > seriously considered. Is there a User Manager equivalent (NT4
> > domain for example) or Exchange Administrator equivalent (Exchange
> > 5.5) "functional" alternative? More importantly, 2K3 Server and
> > Exchange integration?

YP/NIS works and can be gotten to work on Windows(using something free
similiar to below from Microsoft.) Many unixes(note lower case :P) are
also begining to supprt LDAP now. IIRC FreeBSD 5x does.

> Not AFAIK.
>
> > Failing that, connecting clients as above to M$ servers would be
> > sufficient. Stay with M$ in servers, go with Linux in desktops.
> > I've seen enough "glossy brochures" and want to know the facts.
>
> Again, you can't do this when you want centralised server option.
>
> > The cost difference is obvious. The functional difference is not.
> > I've still no reason to choose your Linux over Windows XP Pro at
> > this stage. Cost is not enough. Any sane IT department doesn't
> > need screaming users due to lack of pure functionality. Experience
> > suggests most find it difficult enough getting around the OS to
> > even perform basic functions, let alone usability.
> >
> > Assuming aforementioned functionality, where does your Linux stand
> > with converting between M$ Office 97/2K/2K3? Will our accounts
> > department be able to work with their previous 40Mb Excel files
> > full of VLookups and Formulas straightup, or is it going to be
> > bigger than a Lotus 4.1 to Excel 5 conversion debacle?
> > Of course Word,PowerPoint,Publisher and Access are questioned
> > also.
>
> OpenOffice.org can do the job there, but a file created with OOo
> will be rather misshapen when opened with Excel and vica versa. So
> it's not advicable.

What about gnumeric? There are also other assorted programs out there
to fill the need desired.

Remember, on unix you are not as limited in vendor options as you are
on windows and there is a much larger software base to choose from. :)

> > I'm talking up to 500 user desktops to be upgraded. Upgraded need
> > not be a literal word. Installing Linux from scratch would be
> > expected. Anything "upgrade wise" extra would be a bonus.
> >
> > Outside of M$ Office, current application functionality would have
> > to be trialed. This is expected. A list of currently supported M$
> > applications would be helpful.
> >
> > Your detailed reply appreciated
> >

> So, for your needs, upgrading to Linux or BSD or whatever is a BAD
> idea, IMHO. Your employees and your desktops simply don't have any
> use of it, with the desires mentioned above. As long as you wish for
> integration with Active Directory, then an Microsoft OS is still the
> best for you.

Can be done :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/productinfo/features/default.asp

Those idiots still have not put in ssh, thought!?!?! :/
/me feels telnet should be a executable offense :P

BTW I have been using unix since it is simpler to type than unix-like
os or unix derivative... not to be confused with the upper case UNIX
^_^