Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:37:46 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
Cc:        "P. U. Kruppa" <520023893678-0001@t-online.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: back up Win2k workstations?

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
>>I am looking for a concept to back up some Win2k workstations on
>>a FreeBSD machine. Can this be done and how?

The approach I use here is to set up
Samba on FreeBSD and run Microsoft Backup
on Windows to backup to a file on the server.
Other Windows backup programs (e.g., Dantz
Retrospect) can also write to files on
a Samba server.

A couple of caveats:

* Use a recent version of Samba.  Prior to 2.0.8,
   Samba did not support files >4GB, and some
   later versions got very slow with large files.
   I'm playing with the beta of 3.0 which
   is very fast with large files.

* Microsoft Backup does no compression.
   You can either use very large hard disks on
   your server (which is what I'm doing now)
   or periodically run a script on the server
   to gzip the backup files.

* You should probably tune the disk for large
   files; read 'man newfs' for details.

Using this setup with 100Mbps Ethernet,
I can backup a Windows workstation with
60GB of data in about 3 1/2 hours over
the network, resulting in a single 60GB
file on the server.  Fortunately, not all
of my Windows machines are this large.  ;-)

Tim Kientzle