Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:42:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@openbsd.org
Subject:   *BSD packages...

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> FreeBSD is already working on a new packaging system using paid
> contractors so that it actually happens this time.  We hope to have a
> technology demonstrator by March of next year; I won't say too much
> about it except to say that it's considerably more ambitious than any
> of the existing (Linux, *BSD) packaging systems and does a better job,
> IMHO, of handling both the front-end and security issues.

  IMO, this is the aspect that it would most benefit the *BSD community to
agree upon.  If all three free BSDs (and maybe even BSDI) could adopt the
same package system, then that would eliminate a large amount of
duplicated effort and would in effect make the systems interchangable.
Each BSD can already emulate all of the others, so what difference does it
make to most users if the kernels are the same or different?  If there is
one package repository and perhaps even just one install system, then *BSD
will be much more unified then Linux will ever be even if the underlying
systems diverge much further then they are already.

  Since someone is being paid to write the code, this would be a minimum
amount of work for all of the volunteers.  Of course Net and OpenBSD would
have to contribute towards the cost of developing the system, but I have
the feeling that this would be much easier for many people then joint
development and it would allow us non-developers to contribute as well.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net