Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:14:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com, tom@sdf.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com, richard@pegasus.com
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:46:46 -0700 (PDT) Tom said:
>On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, John T. Farmer wrote:
>> servers.  Livingston & Co. are relative newcomers to the field.  (I was
>> buying & selling DEC terminal servers during the early '80's & they
>> weren't new product then...)
>
>  The Livingston PM-11 (no longer made) came out in '82.  You can get them
>used for $300 now.

	Yes, I know.  At the time, it was a _very_ unknown company/device.
	I view it as a "well done!" for Livingston to have taken such a
	major share of the market in 15 years.

>> I _don't_ want a box that is dependant on Radius servers, high-speed
>
>  Who is?  Livingston stuff certainly isn't.  IF you define a RADIUS
>server, it is checked AFTER the local user table.

For this type of application, I would design it as a totally seperate
network from any publicly accessible network.  As such, I usually
setup ports to auto-connect, and don't setup any user tables
unless it's required.

The major points I was making are:

    1.	If you have more expensive older gear that you want to
	use, use it.

    2.	If there anen't any requirements for the features of the
	more expensive boxes, then look at cheaper, easiler
	solutions.

    3.	Sometimes using the same equipment everywhere is better
	than saving money.  Sometimes different is better, sometimes
	worse.

    4.	No ruleset will give the correct answer every time.  YMMV.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting