Date:      Mon, 2 May 2005 17:40:17 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
To:        stuart@aurora-solutions.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Serial ATA

On Monday 02 May 2005 17:22, O'Reilly, Stuart wrote:
> %< ----------- snipped
>
> > I have good experiences with RocketRAID 1520 and 1640. I'm running a
> > 1640 with three SATA drives since one year without problems; it's just a
> > little bit slow. Highpoint offers binary FreeBSD drivers for these
> > controllers, but I think that people don't like this kind of support
> > because Highpoint neglects it for older models and this dependency might
> > be dangerous in future. Keep in mind: you'll get what you pay for.
> >
> > Regards
> > Bj=F6rn
>
> Can someone just answer a quick question. One of the suggestions
> mentioned was the Highpoint RocketRAID 1520 controller which is a low
> cost solutions however support for FreeBSD stopped at v5.1.
>
> However, scrolling down the list of driver software for the RocketRAID
> 1520, Highpoint offer the option of downloading the Linux Open Source
> Driver and compiling it yourself. To quote the website:
>
> "Support Linux kernel version 2.2.x to 2.6.x on x86 and x86_64 platform."
>
> Would this be a suitable option since (as I understand it), FreeBSD is
> i386.

=46reeBSD has an i386 version, but it isn't only available for i386.

See:=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/archs.=
html

Regarding the driver for Linux:
Often the guts of drivers distributed in this way are binary and the interf=
ace=20
which brings the binary and the kernel together is all that is publicly=20
accessible. You will (quite literally) have more luck getting a binary=20
Windows driver to work on FreeBSD than a binary Linux driver.

> Sorry if I sound like i'm trying to get blood from a stone. ;)

Be wary of cheap controllers which burden your system with extra work inste=
ad=20
of less.