Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:25:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, batie@aahz.jf.intel.com
Subject:   Re: onboard sound problem

> Alan Batie wrote:
>  > I've got a new Dell Dimension XPS H266; it's got onboard sound, as shown
>  > below.  The problem is that when I try to play sounds (using xanim or splay),
>  > the sound comes in spurts --- a half second of sound, a one second pause,
>  > a half second of sound, etc.  I disabled the lpt port, noticing that the
>  > irq's conflicted, but it made no difference.  The error says it's DMA that's
>  > failing anyhow...  Thoughts?
>  > [...]
>  > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>  > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>  > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I got this too when I'm trying to record via auvoxware. I have the soundcard
at IRQ 5 and the LPT at IRQ 7.

> I had exactly the same problem, using an AWE32 on IRQ 7.

Mine is a SB16 clone.

> Disabling the lpt port on the mainboard doesn't help, since
> FreeBSD's driver still seems to get the wrong interrupt
> requests.

But I have no IRQ conflict. It must be the DMA. But it seems to be ok.

> By the way, switching the lpt port to I/O polled mode didn't
> have a noticable effect on printing speed.

No, but the speed of the rest of the system gets worse while you're printing.

Bye,
	Udo

--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de