Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:25:45 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        agalindo@servidor.exsocom.com.mx (Alejandro Galindo)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Speed in ttys and gettytab  files

+-----[ Alejandro Galindo ]------------------------------

|         1 Year ago i try to configure the modem speed in the gettytab and
| ttys files for dialin, i only can use the std.19200 and it works well, i see
| in the pppkit a configuration with std.38400, std.57600 and std.115200, but
| when a user conect to my server he only see bad characters (not the login
| prompt) i try with several modems (motorola 33.6, etc. now we have the
| motorola 57.6 ModemSurfer) but i can't work with a configuration major than
| std.19200.
|
| Can you indicate me how configure the gettytab for a std.115200, std.57600
| and std.38400? and this number (115200) what do it mean? is the speed betwen
| the serial port and the modem?
|
| I have a 2.2.5 RELEASE and a Cyclades Cyclom-Y multiport (it support 115200
| i think).

I am currently having the exact same problem with the exact same hardware,
for std.57600.

What is happening, is that the modem is downtraining the portspeed to
9600, and for some reason some of the ports lock themselves into 56K.
I get this from looking at stty -f /dev/ttyc0xxx

The ones with getty's on them are at 9600 (the ones that work) the ones
that have PPP active have gone back to 57600. The ones that don't work
have a getty camped on them with the port at 57600.

I've been talking to our modem supplier in order to get old revision
firmware in our modems, since they seem to work.

Surprisingly if I go into terminal mode using user ppp and dial into a modem
that way, everything is fine. If I attach a getty to that port directly
after this, it goes back to delivering crap.

The same port works with a different modem.

We have modems that work, and a new batch that don't. We've been running
for over 12 months with no problems until recently (2.2.2) Maybe the
cyclades driver is a little buggy, and not the modems.

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233