Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:47:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ok guru's, this one ought to be easy, crontab -e

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Peter Brezny wrote:

> it's a blank file and when i edit and exit, and type crontab -e again,
> there's the same file i just edited, however, it doesn't appear to be
> combined with the real /etc/crontab
>
> Could someone please tell me why the instructions don't just say to edit
> /etc/crontab by hand, and what does this crontab -e command do?

Sure.  crontab -e edits the crontab for the user, not the system cron in
/etc/crontab.

see /var/crontabs/username  for the one you are working with.

And there is some big tado about not editing it by hand, I presume it has
something to do with a hashed database somewhere.

later...david
--
David Raistrick		Digital Wireless Communications
davidr@dwcinet.com