Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:06:59 -0800
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux ELF codine no go on 2.2 Gamma

>> Linux, SCO, and BSDI binaries.  Why not make the assumption in the
>> kernel that any binary loaded from /compat/[linux,sco,bsdi] is an elf binary
>> of the type denoted by the subdirectory.  This would eliminate any need
>> to brand the binaries.  You would just install them under the appropriate
>> subdirectory of /compat.  This makes the implicit and reasonable assumption
>> that any elf binary not under /compat is a native FreeBSD one.
>
> I've already proposed this; I was assuming that SOS had already done it.
>
> If there's no major disagreement, I'll look at adding the code to
> imgact_elf.c at some point soonish.

Umm, I think it is a bad idea to make the assumption that any elf
binary not under /compat is a native FreeBSD one.  I would still like
to run branded/linked Linux binaries outside of /compat.

Probably what would be reasonable to do is if all else fails and
the elf type is not known, use the /compat/(*) as a hint for the type.

Steven