Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:09:03 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anyone using AOLserver under FreeBSD?

On 21 Aug 98, at 14:10, Ron Steele wrote:

> I haven't tried the linux version and I don't know of a freebsd version.
> However, aolserver is highly threaded.  Given Freebsd's rather
> limited support for threads, I think you would get poor performance,
> if it worked at all.  The preferred platform for aolserver is Digital Unix,
> where it really screams.  I happen to have this configuration setting
> on a box next to my desk, and really love it.

<OffTopic>
I don't know why you say Digital is the preferred platform, but
probably the busiest site that runs AOLserver is www.aol.com.
They run it on a farm of SGI Origin 200 servers (Irix 6.2).
</OffTopic>

>From the AOLserver download page:
"Unsupported platforms: FreeBSD, IBM AIX, Windows 95 and
Windows NT"

The fact that they specifically exclude FreeBSD suggest that they
have some particular reason for doing so.  Which means you
probably won't have much luck making it work.
(What's interesting to note is that they supported WinNT up
through v2.1.  When was the last time you heard of someone
*dropping* NT support?)

> I hear that FreeBSD 3.0 is going to have thread support.  It would
> probably be worth a look at that point.

Hopefully this is why they don't support FreeBSD, so that may
change when 3.0 comes out.

Dave