Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 00:43:49 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Tyler K McGeorge <treznor@sunflower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd

Tyler K McGeorge (treznor@sunflower.com) wrote:

> After I set up my BIND name daemon, I started getting the following message:
>
> Jan 31 16:12:45 palisor    rpc.statd: invalid hostname to sm_stat: (then a whole bunch of gibberish, I would transcribe it, but it uses strange characters that aren't available in Windows.)
>
> I assume this means that named isn't starting before an important process... But I didn't change anything in the default rc... I am so very confused.

Don't worry, methinks you are merely being probed for Linux-bugs.

rpc.statd was flawed in some popular Linux distributions; users of
those distributions who failed to install the correct binary patch
(what a stupid way to distribute bug fixes!) will eventually find
their machines probed and exploited.  FreeBSD is not vulnerable.
I used to get that message several times a month until I firewalled
the portmapper service.

See http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-17.html for more details.

--
Christopher Farley