Date:      23 Oct 2002 19:38:03 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't find certain doc

> > But, no matter what they try to tell you, 150 MB is awfully
> > small for the root partition now days.

If it's small now, it's been small for many years.  It's not
unreasonable to consider it small, but lots of people don't mind the
little trouble it takes to keep it well under that size.  That's mostly
taken care of by pointing /var, /tmp, /usr, and /home elsewhere.  I
think the argument is that the less you use /, the less likely you are
to mess it up so you can't boot even into single user mode.

Another way to find out what's filling "/":

    du -xd 1 /                        ## Just dir trees on / device
    find / ! -type d -maxdepth 1 -ls  ## Just non-dirs in / dir

> Thanks, I'll keep that in mind tonight when I set up a new box
> at home. :)

You might want to ensure that /var and /tmp point to real directories
even when only / is mounted by pointing them at directories on / that
get hidden after you mount things.  Different topic: I like to point
/tmp to something under /var and then worry only about /var.  (I keep
my small "home" under /var too.)