Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:26:31 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Simple router with basic firewall functionalioties

Hi!

Well, I want to recycle my old 486 for a security project...

Basic idea is, since i'm sitting on a LAN with my machine here in our
students home, I want to have a second machine as a router/gateway/firewall
betwenn my vaued box an the rest of my fellow bas-ass students...

Are there any links to good documentation regarding this?
Or could someone tell some issues with the following config:

486/66 or 100        or: 486/sx 25
16/32 MB RAM         8/16 MB RAM
1 GB HDD                300 MB HDD
2 NIC (whether cheap Realtek ISA or AMD PCnet ISA from Allied telesyn)

I have a FBSD 3.2 R here, or should I have a look at a different distro?

Basic issues I thought of:
our university has a class-B network, where we have gotten a Class C-subset
for our home.
DHCP is running, central administered by the university.there are also some
IPs free by now..., so no problem if I use more than one.

So I want to connect the 486 to the TP network jack, then connect the big
machine with coax or TP to the second NIC.
I understand that I must have packet forwarding activated/compiled.
I also heard a lot about IP masquerading/NAT. CAn anyone explain the
difference between them, and give me some opinion if thats preferrable or not?

Some braindead jerks are also trying to make funny games, like nuking
computers and that stuff of network games, mainly targeted on the M$
machines running here. Any opinions about that, except that a UN*X runs
better here? Detection/Trace/Retaliation-wise?

I also thought about a SAMBA server, to ensure compatibility to exchanga
data with the M$ machines running here. Any security issues?
Yes, I know that running a server app on a router/firewall imposes a severe
threat, but ir would be a thought, since I need some basic compatibility
with the rest of the environment.
Is it also possible to Send/receive the "messenging service" of NT,
respective the "Popups"?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)