Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:48:38 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   General bridging information

Hi,

I had bridge_cfg set to xl0:0,vmnet1:0 and bridge to 1 on 4.5-STABLE
and it was working fine, but the only problem I had was that I
couldn't ping my FreeBSD's xl0 IP from the vmware/win2k, both OSes
were unable to talk to eachother using any protocol. (AFAIK..)

Now on 4.7 bridge_cfg is null and ether.bridge=0, my vmware
is working AND also able to see my xl0 IP.
I recently noticed that the netgraph control utility creates a node
at startup by the vmware.sh script;
ngctl list:
  Name: ngctl545        Type: socket          ID: 0000000f   Num
hooks: 0
  Name: vmnet_bridge    Type: bridge          ID: 00000004   Num
hooks: 3
  Name: vmnet1          Type: ether           ID: 00000002   Num
hooks: 1
  Name: xl0             Type: ether           ID: 00000001   Num
hooks: 2

My questions is:
was my routing problem between the two OSes caused by this? and
was I conflicting the bridge in anyway by linking it manually
(xl0:0,vmnet1:0) while it was controlled by netgraph?

thanks,

Ed.

--
Edmond Baroud