Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2018 19:08:22 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <eugene@zhegan.in>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TRIM, iSCSI and %busy waves

Hi,

I have a production iSCSI system (on zfs of course) with 15 ssd disks
and it's often suffering from TRIMs.

Well, I know what TRIM is for, and I know it's a good thing, but
sometimes (actually often) I'm seeing my disks in gstat are overwhelmed
by the TRIM waves, this looks like a "wave" of 20K 100%busy delete
operations starting on first pool disk, then reaching second, then
third,... - at the time it reaches the 15th disk the first one if freed
from TRIM operations, and in 20-40 seconds this wave begins again.

I'm also having a couple of iSCSI issues that I'm dealing through bounty
with, so may be this is related somehow. Or may be not. Due to some
issues in iSCSI stack my system sometimes reboots, and then these
"waves" are stopped for some time.

So, my question is - can I fine-tune TRIM operations ? So they don't
consume the whole disk at 100%. I see several sysctl oids, but they
aren't well-documented.

P.S. This is 11.x, disks are Toshibas, and they are attached via LSI HBA.

Thanks.

Eugene.