Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:07:23 -0600
From:      "Dean Weimer" <dweimer@orscheln.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFilter section in Handbook needs updating

I was just setting up ipfilter and ipmon on a FreeBSD 7 server, and =
noticed that the ipmon and syslog information under the ipfilter section =
of the handbook is incorrect.

The section reads:
-----snip-----
31.5.7 IPMON Logging
Syslogd uses its own special method for segregation of log data. It uses =
special groupings called "facility" and "level". IPMON in -Ds mode uses =
security as the "facility" name. All IPMON logged data goes to security =
The following levels can be used to further segregate the logged data if =
desired:
LOG_INFO - packets logged using the "log" keyword as the action rather =
than pass or block.
LOG_NOTICE - packets logged which are also passed
LOG_WARNING - packets logged which are also blocked
LOG_ERR - packets which have been logged and which can be considered =
short
To setup IPFILTER to log all data to /var/log/ipfilter.log, you will =
need to create the file. The following command will do that:
# touch /var/log/ipfilter.log
The syslog function is controlled by definition statements in the =
/etc/syslog.conf file. The syslog.conf file offers considerable =
flexibility in how syslog will deal with system messages issued by =
software applications like IPF.
Add the following statement to /etc/syslog.conf:
security.* /var/log/ipfilter.log
The security.* means to write all the logged messages to the coded file =
location.
To activate the changes to /etc/syslog.conf you can reboot or bump the =
syslog task into re-reading /etc/syslog.conf by running =
/etc/rc.d/syslogd reload
Do not forget to change /etc/newsyslog.conf to rotate the new log you =
just created above.
-----snip-----

In trying to configure this I found that ipmon -Dsa doesn't log to =
security, but logs to local0 instead.  Reading the man page for ipmon =
does in fact state this.  However it also list the -L option as being =
able to change this default behavior, I tried ipmon -DSa -L security, it =
excepts this, but doesn't actually change the logging to use security.  =
It still only outputs to the syslog using local0, I also tried using =
ipmon -DSa -L local7 as well, still outputs to local0.  It was easy =
enough to modify my syslog.conf to output the local0.* as well as =
security.* to the /var/log/security file.  However it would be greatly =
appreciated if someone that actually understands what's going on here =
could get this info updated.  It would have saved me some time, as well =
as I am sure some other people in the future.  Of course it's always =
possible I am missing something simple here that is causing this =
discrepancy, please do inform me if I did.  It's probably worth =
mentioning that I am starting ipmon using the rc.conf file with =
ipmon_enable=3D"YES" and ipmon_flags=3D"-DSa", just in case the =
/etc/rc.d/ipmon script actually changes the default behavior of ipmon in =
some way, though I didn't see anything in it that should.  And ps wwaux =
| grep ipmon does display the process running with the flags exactly as =
stated on the ipmon_flags line of the /etc/rc.conf file.

Thanks,
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Dean Weimer
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Network Administrator
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Orscheln Management Co