Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:26:17 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CALL FOR TESTERS: linux-f8 infrastructure ports

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:35:13 +0400)=
:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:26:07 -0300 Aline de Freitas wrote:
>
>> I was looking in the old linux-fontconfig port, and realize that there is=
>> custom fonts.conf in the files dir. So, sure, that was the trick. =20
>> Then, I've put
>> this stuff in the new linux-f8-fontconfig, and yes, it works!
>
> Good news, thanks! I'll take care of it later (tomorrow?).

AFAIR the reason for the fonts.conf in there was, that the updated =20
native fontconfig was incompatible for the config file with the linux =20
one. The goal is that the linux fontconfig uses the native fontconfig =20
configuration. We need to investigate this further. Maybe the versions =20
are still incompatible.

Note, if you run fc-cache, I think this will create some files in the =20
directories where the fonts are. This should not be done with the =20
linux version of fc-cache, as this will overwrite the files from the =20
native fc-config run. Ideally they should be compatible, but I prefer =20
if the fc-cache runs is done by the font ports, not by the =20
linux-fontconfig ports. I don't think it is a good idea that the linux =20
ports influence the native ports.

Bottom line: I don't think it is as easy as the patch suggests. There =20
needs to be some more investigation (Does linux fontconfig fall =20
through to the right file for the native fontconfig configuration? Are =20
they compatible? ...).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Somewhere in Tenafly, New Jersey, a chiropractor is viewing "Leave it
to Beaver"!

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137