Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:09:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root shell/toor shell

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>In re changing root's/toor's shell, why not just put som,e code in
>your .profile/.cshrc that conditionally automagically exec's zsh/bash
>if it's available? :)
>
>if [ -x /usr/local/bin/zsh ] ; then
>        exec /usr/local/bin/zsh ;
>fi
>
>it's a lot easier and safer.

I did this for a while. (until I discovered the one true way:)) IIRC, when
you exit zsh you will still be in sh/csh. At any rate, I quit doing this
for some pain it was causing me.

Toor is there for exactly there reasons we have discussed so far. It is
not any less safe, nor any more difficult to use toor for it's intended
purpose than it is to do some sort of scripting with root's shell.

There is more than one way to do it, to be sure. Redhat's method is yet
another way. They have bash with static linking as root's default shell
and don't fuss with any of this.

Mr. McKitrick has heard the whole deal on the topic. He should be ready to
give his PhD dissertation on the topic soon. ;)

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells