Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 10:34:28 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        Bob@WhiteBarn.Com
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Dump, Vinum, and the Demise of /dev/rvinum

On Thu, 04 May 2000 01:08:16 +0900,
  Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> said:

Bob> With 4.0-RELEASE, vinum apparently no longer offers both block and
Bob> character device interfaces. This seems to confuse dump (though mount
Bob> and fsck are unfazed and newfs needs the -v option).

Bob> Snivey# dump 0f /dev/null /faithful
Bob> DUMP: Cannot open /dev/vinum/rfaithful

Bob> Snivey# dump 0f /dev/null /dev/vinum/faithful
Bob> DUMP: Cannot open /dev/vinum/rfaithful

Seigo> dump(8) tends to generate the name of a raw device by inserting an 'r'
Seigo> after the last '/' of the device name. We should get rid of this
Seigo> conversion soon.

Oh, it was fixed in rev 1.21 (current) and 1.20.2.1 (4-stable) of
src/sbin/dump/main.c. So it should be enough to fetch the latest
source, rebuild ad reinstall dump(8).

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>