Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:03:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lock order reversals, login-related, maybe...

Are the following lock order reversals something that I should mention
when I encounter them, in general?

On the other hand, this is from an older -current, built 25.Jan, before
which I don't see these messages, while after installworld/reboot, I
see them, except I haven't normally booted into -current other than
after -stable wedges/panics and I want to background-fsck all filesystems.
Actually, it looks like once I did, so this, which immediately follows
my alternate-r00t-login, is unrelated to the background fsck, but it
always follows my login.  If that made any sense.

Jan 30 08:34:56 dastardly login: ROOT LOGIN (t00r) ON ttyv7
Jan 30 08:34:57 dastardly kernel: lock order reversal
Jan 30 08:34:57 dastardly kernel: 1st 0xc188b634 filedesc structure @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:925
Jan 30 08:34:57 dastardly kernel: 2nd 0xc031c940 Giant @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:959

Feb  1 14:13:36 dastardly login: ROOT LOGIN (t00r) ON ttyv3
Feb  1 14:13:37 dastardly kernel: lock order reversal
Feb  1 14:13:37 dastardly kernel: 1st 0xc187e734 filedesc structure @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:925
Feb  1 14:13:37 dastardly kernel: 2nd 0xc031c940 Giant @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:959

Feb  1 14:22:24 dastardly login: ROOT LOGIN (t00r) ON ttyv7
Feb  1 14:22:25 dastardly kernel: lock order reversal
Feb  1 14:22:25 dastardly kernel: 1st 0xc1880034 filedesc structure @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:925
Feb  1 14:22:25 dastardly kernel: 2nd 0xc031c940 Giant @ /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:959

[etc]

I'll assume that since this is two weeks old, it's been noted already,
but in general, I wonder if I should report such occurrences, in a more
timely manner...

thanks
barry bouwsma