Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 07:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@sderdau.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading to elf from a.out to 3.1

I did the aout-to-elf instead of make upgrade and things
seem a little better.
here is my uname -a info:
 FreeBSD sderdau.ne.mediaone.net 3.1-RELEASE
FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #5: Thu May 13 23:00:40 EDT 1999
root@sderdau.ne.mediaone.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/

However, I still get alot of errors like these :
	/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libjpeg.so.9" not found

	Warning: Unable to load any usable fontsetA

	Another sympthom is I couldn't start wmaker unless I did startx.
	If I do xdm and try wmaker I get another /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
		error message.

I think I may not be able to fix my system to run the way it has been.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to fix things.
I also shouldn't be emailing you directly instead should be emailing the
list.  Anyway thanks for you're help prior !!

How did you learn so much about FreeBSD ? I've been playing around with
FreeBSD now for a couple of years and I don't have 1% of the understanding
of the system that you seem to have.
What would you suggest someone like me should learn in order to get
that understanding that you must have.  I mean should I learn to code or
something like that?  I can set up install etc and I know a little. But I
just feel like I should know more and would like to :-)

http://www.FreeBSD.org http://www.fsf.org
FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE