Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:46:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jay Bratcher <jayb@netjava.com>
Cc:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

> Seriously though, by flexible, I meant more options.  Anyway, I can
> definitely get in over my head arguing about boot managers, so I won't
> do it.  I only meant to point out that lilo would be a good alternative
> to booteasy if it could be ported.

... except that BootEasy and Lilo do completely different things.

Booteasy lets you select a partition from which to load an operating
system bootstrap.

Lilo is an operating system bootstrap.

The FreeBSD bootstrap doesn't have a cute name; it's called 'boot', or
sometimes boot1/boot2.

There is very little that Lilo does that boot doesn't.  On the other
hand, boot understands how the BSD filesystem works, so you can boot
any kernel that you want, without having to screw around with it.