Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 03:49:12 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        danh@wzrd.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APM woes

> The problem seems to be when the laptop is in trying to resume from suspend.
> This laptop has the ability to suspend either to disk or to RAM, and in either
> case I get the same results (as I understand it, this probably isn't a factor
> anyways).  What happens is the laptop gets the resume event (at least according
> to the debug info), and then freezes with what appears to be a lot of disk
> activity.  It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I have pccards plugged in or
> not at the time, I still get the same behavior.  Also, I have tried without
> the VM86 option in the kernel and have ended up with the same results.  apmd was
> running and there were two cards in the two available slots when this
> information was gathered.  Anyone have any ideas?

How about options MAXMEM ?

The recent laptops have ACPI BIOS providing compatibility with APM.
The memory regions for ACPI are usually located near the highest part
of pysical memory map, so you need to protect this memory regions in
that case by reducing available memory (1 or 2 MB enough I think) for
VM. For example, if your laptop have 128MB RAM, this configuration is
to protect the highest 1MB memory;
options         "MAXMEM=(128*1024-1024)"

It seems -CURRENT memory size detecting code handle this
perfectly using INT 15:E820.

Another possibility is ... Are you running X when suspending?  I
recently got Toshiba PORTEGE 3110CT and got problem on graphic chipset
(or LID?) after resuming.  It was not hang actually because I could
switch vty to others but X seemed crash.  So I have to swith current
vty to text mode console such as ttyv0 from X (graphics mode) or add
followings to /etc/rc.suspend and execute it.

if [ -f /tmp/.X0-lock ]; then
        X_PID=`sed 's/ //g' /tmp/.X0-lock`
        X_RUNNING=`ps ax | grep -c "^[ ]*$X_PID .*X :0"`
else
        X_RUNNING=0
fi

if [ $X_RUNNING = 1 ]; then
        vidcontrol -s 1 < /dev/ttyv0
fi

logger -t apmd suspend at `date +'%Y%m%d %H:%M:%S'`
sync && sync && sync
sleep 3

rm -f /var/run/rc.suspend.pid
zzz

exit 0

# Is this a bug in XF86_SVGA or should we execute hardware specific
# procedures on suspend/resume (it means ACPI support is required)?

Thanks