Date:      22 Nov 1999 00:19:51 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        "John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is ssh & JDK

"John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net> writes:

> I am courious why some things are not on the 4 CD set? It is because of some
> obscure licensing issue? Is the reason JDK is not on because the fact is it
> still beta (though I understand it is a solid beta). I have a Subscription
> to FreeBSD because it does help the project but also it is real handy to
> have *most* anything in your breifcase.. Just courious what the formula is.
> This by no means a gripe! The distributions rarely have bugs and the ones
> that are there are so minor that they could barely be called a nuisance, so
> again fine work.

The CDs don't include an ssh package because the US government doesn't
like people to use strong crypto, and barring the export of it (even
when it was imported originally) makes it slightly harder to obtain
and use.  There's also the RSA patent issue.

JDK isn't included because "License doesn't allow distribution with
fee".

Both can easily be built from the ports collection.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.