Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 09:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Still more dialin problems

Hello all,

I'm still mystified as to why I'm having such a hard time dialing into my
FreeBSD system from the outside.  I've done some more testing, and here's
what I've come up with so far:

* Using Minicom, I can dial out from the FreeBSD machine to an outside
site, such as a BBS, with no problem.

* From my other machine, running Windows NT, on a differnet phone line,
using HyperTerminal, I can dial out to a BBS.

* Using HyperTerm and Minicom, though, I cannot even dial from the NT
machine to the FreeBSD machine and talk, or from the FreeBSD to the NT
machine.  When I do it either way, I see the "CONNECT xxxx" message on the
FreeBSD box, but not in NT.  And I get occasional spurts of letters
(nothing intelligible, though) on the FreeBSD machine, and nothing at all
on the NT machine.

* I've even tried swapping the modems and repeating the above tests, and I
get the exact same results.

All this tells me that the modems work fine, and the serial ports in both
computers are fine (these are both external Supra 33.6K modems).  The only
conclusion that I can draw is that I've got something set up incorrectly
on the FreeBSD machine... alhough at one time, it did work, and I haven't
chnaged anything.

If anyone has suggestions on what to change or check, I'd love to hear
'em.  Thanks in advance for any help!