Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2014 16:30:50 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 swapping Idle processes :/

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:56:06 +0200
Adi wrote:

> Hello
>
> > I don't know what's changed, you only used to get this behaviour
> > when memory got very low or vm.swap_idle_enabled was set. Possibly
> > someones optimized it, or maybe it's a bug. Either way I doubt it's
> > a significant problem, setting swap_idle_enabled is just a minor
> > optimization.
>

> # sysctl vm.swap_idle_enabled
> vm.swap_idle_enabled: 0
>
> I have never changed this setting.

I know, that setting was on pastebin.

> After reset all processes (excluded one I forgot) 7 hours ago is
> still OK
>

> so only 1 processes is in SWAP idle.
>
> update FreeBSD to 10.0-STABLE and is better but not 100% ok.

but seeing processes marked as swapped is not in itself a significant
problem. It's really just a way of reducing the priority of certain
pages in case  actual page-outs occur later.

In your original post you had many idle processes marked as swapped and
*zero* swap usage.