Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:54:06 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS auto expand mirror

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:49:56AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Ben Stuyts <ben@altesco.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to expand an existing mirror by replacing the existing drives
> with
> > > bigger ones. This is on:
> > > FreeBSD xxx 7.3-STABLE FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE #2: Mon Sep 20 18:36:08 CEST
> 2010
> > >     root@xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx  amd64
> > >
> > > # zpool status home
> > >  pool: home
> > >  state: ONLINE
> > >  scrub: scrub completed after 2h0m with 0 errors on Mon Sep 19 18:25:45
> > > 2011
> > > config:
> > >
> > >        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> > >        home        ONLINE       0     0     0
> > >          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
> > >            ad5s1a  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > >            ad7s1a  ONLINE       0     0     0
> > >
> > > Will this version of FreeBSD auto-expand to the new, bigger drive size
> once
> > > they are both replaced? I did not see the autoexpand property in this
> pool.
> > > zpool is v13, zfs is v3.
> > >

> > No.  You will need to reboot the system in order for the extra space to
> > become usable in the pool.  Or, if none of the OS is installed on the
> pool,
> > you can export/import the pool to make the new space available.
>
> Does this advice/fact apply to FreeBSD 7.3?  To my knowledge it does
> not.  The ZFS version is too old.
>
> It's worked for me on our storage servers.  These started with ZFSv6 and
have been upgraded through each version, currently running ZFSv28 on
8-STABLE.

Early versions of ZFS need the reboot or export/import cycle.  Newer
versions pick up the new space as soon as the resilver of the last drive in
the vdev occurs (if the autoexpand property is enabled on the pool).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com