Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:57:02 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 06:14:27PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know where to get ssh for all of the boxes I
> > have, and for which I currently have telnet and ftp available.
> >
> > I won't list all 12 of them here, unless you request it.
>
> 	Actually, since the "How do I get an ssh client for
> <foo>?" question comes up on -questions so often, it might be worth a FAQ
> entry. Someone probably knows of an ssh client for all/most of the
> platforms imaginable...

Well, there's mindterm, which is Java, can run as an applet, so
should cover essentially everything that can run Netscape.

There's the original Data Fellows ssh, and now OpenSSH that
should run on anything that looks remotely like an ANSI-C/posix
platform.

Several free Win32 versions exist (I use TeraTermPro + TTSSH,
which has nice integrated file transfer capabilities and does
port redirection) and Data Fellows have a very nice commercial
version that does essentially the same thing.

Mac native: I don't know, sorry.  Mindterm probably works.

Besides: arguing that Windows does telnet out of the box
isn't a terribly defensible position, because of the terrible
compatability of their "ANSI"/VT100 emulator.  I even use
TeraTerm for telnet sometimes, just because you can actually run
vi and mutt through it.

So: what are we missing here?  IBM MVS systems?  Most of them
could probably cope with the Java version these days.

--
Andrew