Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 15:07:11 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        "Michael W.Holdeman" <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starband

Mike,

I was a pilot tester for Starband and the requirements were a Windows
computer as the link to the satellite.  The satellite modem sits on that
computer and from there you can arrange it so that your network uses it as a
gateway/nat box.  I have been watching the mailing lists for Starband but
don't remember seeing anyone having success hacking Linux or FreeBSD to use
the modem they require...

Steve

BTW, if you are simply looking for an internet connection that is faster
than dial-up, it works okay - downloads are great most of the time.  Normal
surfing is a bit choppy, though, because of latency issues.  I know they
have improved a number of things since I was a pilot, but a few like web
(from your machine), ftp (from your machine) and vpn (from you or to another
machine) do not work well.  You might want to look at some lists around the
net and ask some questions there if you have any other specific questions.
All in all, I was not happy with the system - but, because it is the only
way to go for some country folk, I would still use it under some specific
circumstances.