Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:20:35 -0500
From:      shashi <shashi@Shift-F1.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   booting from CDROM fails

Hi all,
I have never had this problem before so am not sure how to handle this.
I added a new hard disk to my computer (4th SCSI disk) which already had
3.4-stable. everything was fine. I could mount the CDROM.

then i said,let me install 4.0 from the DCROM.
I changed the BIOS setup to change the boot sequence to be "CDROM, C, A"
on reboot, it said it "found a Bootable CDROM", then it said "the cdrom drive has
been changed from A: to B:"
then it went ahead and booted from the hard drive!!!

i tried everything and failed to boot from CDROM. in desparation I said if there
is no bootable C: it will pick the CDROM, so I formatted the hard disks and booted
again, now it complains no bootable device!!

I have checked the boot sequence, it is CDROM first.
I have a 450 MHz pretty recent computer, with Award BIOS, 4 SCSI HD, 1 SCSI CDROM.

any help will be appreciated. if possible cc me on the reply.

thanks,
shashi joshi