Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:23:41 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Dan Peterson <danp@danp.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

Dan Peterson wrote:

>   Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>
> > But with BIND, you the user can fix them.  You can do that with DJBDNS, too,
> > but you can't share your fixes with anyone else.
>
> http://www.djbdns.org
>
> > Dynamic DNS?
>
> I can't say I've ever used this. Sounds like another BIND klugde, though. It
> would probably be easier to write a simple script to edit your data file and
> rebuild data.cdb. RTFM at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/tinydns-data.html .
>
> > DNSSEC?
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/forgery.html
>
> > Cache control and forwarding?
>
> RTFM at http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/dnscache.html .
>
> > and found that we could not distribute the modified versions
>
> Again, http://www.djbdns.org .
>
> > You seem to completely miss the fact that it's NOT DJB's code we really
> > object to, but rather the license.
>
> I don't really care about djbdns being in the base system; I just want
> people to stop spreading misinformation.

	It's not misinformation to say that djbdns doesn't implement dnssec. This
is a typical (and unfortunate) response from someone who advocates djb's
world view. Explaining why he thinks something isn't a good idea is not the
same as implementing it. Similar points could be made for the other topics
in this e-mail.

	The reasons for not putting djbdns in the base have been adequately made,
I won't belabor them.

Doug
--
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory . . . lasts forever."
        -- Keanu Reeves as Shane Falco in "The Replacements"