Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:53:17 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   wi0 or isab0 trouble?

Hi,

We was using FreeBSD and WaveLAN without problems. But now we are trying
to use 4.2-20001219-STABLE and we are found some problems. We have got
one PII 350MHz (chiset 440 BX motherboard) working fine, but using some
old motherboards we get this error:

wi0: device timeout
wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
wi0: failed to alloacte 1594 bytes on NIC
wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed

That old motherboard has got the chipset VIA VT82C576M with a Pentium
100MHz. Looking at result from dmesg there is a little difference:

work->  	there are isab0 and isa0 at motherboard that works:
      		isab0: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
      		isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

don't work-> 	there isn't isab0!!!:
        	isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

We've got another older motherboard (chipset intel TX) working fine with
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE, and we can found isab0 on dmesg:
isab0: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

Likely the wi0 require a isab0 (I think). Why when are we using FreeBSD
4.2-STABLE we can't found a isab0 on old motherboard? Why don't wi0 works?

We've installed FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE on same VIA motherboard to test and
all works fine. But on that motherboard we can't found a isab0 with dmesg,
too. Are we thinking wrong?

When we are using same motherboard (VIA VT82C576M) with FBSD 4.1-RELEASE
are all working fine? We've tested FBSD 4.2-RELEASE and
4.2-20001219-STABLE and both don't work on this motherboard.

Finally: Why are all versions tested of FreeBSD working fine using a 440BX
motherboard?

Thanks,
Paulo Fragoso.

--