Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:27:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Drinking (Was: We want Perl!)

Paul Richards writes:
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de> writes:
>
>> Terry Lambert writes:
>>> Many hangovers are the result of impurities other than the alcohol
>>> also causing histamine reactions.  Red wine was recently reported
>>> to cause hangovers worse than white wine, for instance, because of
>>> the impurities.
>>
>> That's recent?  In this part of the world, where people perhaps drink
>> more wine, it's well-known (well, I know it, anyway :-).
>
> I think people outside the US generally drink more period. At least in
> the social sense anyway i.e. more people drink alcohol as a matter of
> course in their normal lives as opposed to serious alcohol problems
> which the US has its fair share of.

Hmmm.  Yes, I know more teetotallers or light drinkers in the US than
elsewhere, and I've seen my share of alcoholics there, too, but then,
I've seen my share of alcoholics over here as well.  I used to have a
right load of boozers working (if that's the word) for me.  I think
the big difference between the US and Europe (I don't think Canada's
really on either side) is that many US Americans have a real load of
guilt pumped into them, and that fashions their drinking habits.

> So, if I was going to ask someone about how to drink a lot it'd be the
> folks down the local rugby club but since getting into a rugby club
> generally involves being able to consume vast quantities of alcohol
> anyway it not something that's often discussed due to the fact that
> people are too busy, well, drinking :-)

There's a case in point.  I don't know what UK rugby clubs are like
any more, but in my day what they did there was not considered "social
drinking".

> Since they don't play rugby in the US, or at least, they haven't been
> doing so for long and they aren't very good at it, I doubt they're in
> any way an authority on serious social drinking.
>
> On the other hand, as far as I know the Germans don't play rugby at
> all and they are experienced drinkers. Maybe they've spent their time
> watching us rugby playing nations and realised that the essence of the
> game is consuming vast quantities of lager afterward and being the
> inovative nation that they are they have noted that the actual playing =
of
> the game is an inefficiency and simply removed that part of the
> process thus making them a world leader in the methodology of alcohol
> consumption :-)

Hmmm.  There may even be some truth in that.  Binding, one of
Frankfurt's two big breweries, recently introduced something they call
"lager" (and made it clear that it was a drink from English-speaking
countries, most probably not in accordance with the purity decree of
1536).  But Germans have been drinking beer long before that, they
just optimized the matter: they found out how to do it without playing
rugby.  Instead, they have other traditional methods.  For example, on
cold, foggy November mornings they grab their shotguns, Flachm=E4nner
(what's that in English?), a keg of beer and head off into the forest
to go "hunting".  It's surprising how few accidents there are.

> Hmm, this rambling may have something to do with the fact that the
> dept went to the pub for lunch....

No, couldn't have been.

Grog