Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:55:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony Spressa USB CDR errors

Hi,
I was pleasently surprised to see this drive come up in my dmesg (in the
generic 4.1.1 kernel no less) as:
cd0 at umass-sim32 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <SONY CD-RW  CRX120E 1.0j> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 650KB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

I installed the cdrecord port and the write eventually worked with:
# cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 4.2-RC1-install.iso

but in the finalizing stage I got a large number of errors like:
Fixating...
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)

and I'd say about 300 more almost exactly like it.
it took about 50 minutes just in the fixing stage, but seemed to work.  I
can mount the CD and everything seems to be there, but have not yet tried
to install with it.  One intersting note is:
tim# pwd
/cdrom
tim# du -ks .
619864  .

Does anybody have any ideas on this or know where I could ask?  The
manpage is mostly not about FreeBSD.   Thanks a lot,

						Tim