Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:56:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        scottl@samsco.org
Cc:        davidxu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: Planning on deprecating libc_r for 6.0

In message: <425D2041.7020501@samsco.org>
            Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> writes:
: One question that has come up is how to warn the user at runtime about
: this deprecation.  Should the dynamic linker print a message to stderr
: when it gets a request to load libc_r?  Should it go to the console
: and/or syslog instead?  Should there be a way to disable these messages
: so as not to break wrapper programs that might be confused by the
: output?  Should we even bother at all with runtime warnings?

I'd do a build-time warning only.

This would allow poeple to deploy systems with libc_r and not have
annoying warnings at a customer's site.  They will know that things
are deprecated.  Also, compat librarires will be around for a while,
so doing things at runtime seems annoying...

As far as my company's use of libc_r, we don't yet know how well
non-libc_r works yet since we've not done any large threaded FreeBSD 5
applications yet.  So I can't comment on how wise/foolish this option
is with any direct experience.

Warner