Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 96 21:31:00  GMT
From:      Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for

In article <n1379797443.54035@Richard Wackerbarth>
   Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> writes:
> Chuck Robey writes:
>
> 2) Right now both suffer for the lack of standardization and cross usage.
> Neither can convieniently utilize an up-to-date, or partly up-to-date, tree as
> a starting point. Ctm does better at this only because of the manual effort of
> the distributors.

I've written a program which can be used to repair or update a broken
/usr/src tree.  I've been using it as a replacement for ctm in day to
day use, but it is perfectly capable of using whatever deltas and files
on cdroms you have lying around.  It will hunt in several places for
files, and it is possible to save a /usr/src tree as individual gzipped
files in another tree and it will use those as well.   The program makes
a best effort at patching a file, even those with minor differences to
the  master ctm source tree ( files on CDROMS are prone to this).  It
tries all combinations until it finds one that works.  As a last
resort If none of the patches work, it creates a shellscript which can
be used to ftp fresh files from your favourite FTP mirror site.

The program can be used as a quick sanity checker to check the health of
/usr/src.  The more deltas and cdroms you have, the better it works.

An index program creates an index of all your deltas.  By feeding the
index though a grep, awk or perl  filter, it is possible to undo as many
deltas as you like, although I haven't really tried this much.

My /usr/src has never been in a pristine condition good enough for
normal ctm to work,, and being on a slow dial up line, I did not want to
download a 35 Meg file to get ctm started. With a packet round trip time
of up to 20 seconds at times, sup is far too slow to be usable.

To obtain the  source for the programs, send a blank email
message to cm5@hclb.demon.co.uk.  You will received a 35 k file
within a day or two.