Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:41:00 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: prune ports tree?

Gary Aitken wrote:
> Is it possible to specify that parts of the ports tree should never be used?

Yes.
Although as others pointed out it depend quite what you mean by that :-)

Example
	setenv DUDS SomeEndPortToSkip_eg_ghostview

One could also do
	setenv DUDS "`printenv DUDS` vietnamese chinese" ; make fetch
if for instance you wanted to fetch most but not all distiles

It prevents a recusion into SUBDIR (either into the 30 main ports/ dirs,
or the 20,000+ 2nd level dirs.

How I find DUDS useful:
	When I do an upgrade, I copy
		(using my shell
			http://berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.csh/customise
		)
	about 30 Makefile.local from my personal preference directory
		http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/jhs/
	into
		/usr/ports/*/Makefile.local
	Then I let loose a monstrous make with something like
		cd /usr/ports ;\
                nice make BERKLIX_CLIENT=YES \
                	all install package package-recursive ; bell
	that takes days & always breaks a few times on route,
	(& using make -k or make -i is a bad idea, as it messes upports that
	other ports then think are built, but are not - so I avoid -i & -k )

	 Sometimes I dont have time to immediately analyse each breakage,
	& just want topush the compiles on, & come back later to debug
	broken faults, so I then use (with csh
		setenv DUDS "whatever_port_just_broke `printenv DUDS`"
	& start the make again.

	(PS & later after most stuff is build I start the truly monster builds
	 eg openoffice etc with eg
                nice make BERKLIX_AMBITIOUS=YES \
			all install package package-recursive ; bell
	# http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.sh/bell
	)

For DUDS & other ideas See:
	vi -c/DUDS /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".