Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 16:51:28 -0800
From:      Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.McKusick.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

In message <3096.878596384@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> Adding this to the fact that the "games" there are antiquated and
> probably never actually played by anyone suggests, to me, a strong
> need to simply nuke the bloody things once and for all and stop
> distributing games from anywhere but /usr/ports/games (where fortune,
> arguably one of the few "games" still in wide use, could easily be
> moved).

I'm not in front of my freebsd box at the moment, but an ls of /usr/games
on a NetBSD system produces:

adventure    caesar       fortune      morse        rain         teachgammon
arithmetic   canfield     gomoku       number       random       tetris
atc          cfscores     hack         phantasia    robots       trek
backgammon   chess        hangman      pig          rogue        wargames
banner       cribbage     hide         pom          rot13        worm
battlestar   dm           larn         ppt          sail         worms
bcd          factor       mille        primes       snake        wump
boggle       fish         monop        quiz         snscore

I'd suggest keeping at least factor, caesar, and primes; I would be very
sorry to lose the ability to factor file sizes to arrive at block sizes to
give to dd(1), just to take an example. And caesar is just a cool program.

Some of the others, like bcd, morse, ppt, banner, pom, number, pig, random,
worms, and rain are fairly useless, but still quite nice to have around the
source tree, and I doubt anyone could complain about their legality.

	~Ben