Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:28:36 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        scott@gerhardt-it.com
Cc:        Sol <sol@cyberglobe.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp security

At 07:18 17/10/2001, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
>There was an  /incoming/Taggeg/by/PS2H/  directory with nothing in it

"Tagging" an anonymous ftp server means that the IP address has been
recorded for later uploading (upping) by this kiddy or someone in the fxp
group.  Basically, you've been tagged once and the IP address published on
a board somewhere, and now every opther wanna-be l33t HaXoR wants a bit of
space on your box, so they'll try and tag you as well.

Cheers,
Rob

>Sol wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >         I've had this sort of thing happen myself. Both times it turned
> out to be pirates that basically "wardial" looking for anonymous ftp
> sites with decent badwidth to host their "warez". They'll use it until
> you discover them stealing the bandwidth and then move on. Whether or not
> you want to reinstall is determined by your paranoia and/or security
> policies. Did you discover what the files were?
> >
> > --
> > Sol
> >
> > Somewhere around Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:57:33PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt
> wrote:
> > > Thanks Tim,
> > >
> > > Wouldn't a complete reinstall be overkill when it only "appears" that
> > > someone put some mysterious files in an anonymous ftp incoming
> > > directory?
> > >
> > > It's not like someone cracked into the system, putting files in
> > > /var/ftp/pub/incoming is normal.  Unless, the ftpd that comes with
> > > FreeBSD 4.4-Release has a gaping security hole I don't know about.
> > >
> > > The default ftpd that comes with FreeBSD chroot's anonymous users and
> > > has builtin commands so it should be quite secure, right?
> > >

> > >       - Scott
> > >

>--

Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

This is random quote 1002 of a collection of 1164