Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:07:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

In article <657.891465523.kithrup.freebsd.current@critter.freebsd.dk> you write:
>The problem is, the kernel cannot account for the twohundred som Mbyte
>of swap space it claims is in use.  Even if I kill all processes the
>number doesn't decrease significantly :-(

There is something wrong with -stable.  I reported this to John about a month
ago, maybe two (I forget exactly).

I noticed it when I upgraded from 32MBytes to 96MBytes of RAM; my swap usage,
instead of going down, went drastically up.

I am pretty sure it is related to MFS in my case; I was unable to see an MFS
process in PHK's ps listing.

Right now, I am at:

Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0s1b    131072     4448   126560     3%    Interleaved
/dev/sd1s1b    131072     4408   126600     3%    Interleaved
Total          262016     8856   253160     3%

I'm sorry, but with 96MBytes of RAM, there is no reason for my system to swap,
given what it does.  And that amount will slowly grow; when I rebooted for the
OS upgrade on Saturday, it was at 39MBytes or so (MFS is 32MBytes on my
system).

However:  when I shut down to single user mode, it dropped down to about
100Kbytes in use.

So, I think there's a leak, but I'm not sure *where* it is.  Or perhaps it's
just bad swap usage by the kernel.