Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, a.genkin@utoronto.ca (Arcady Genkin), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

Greg Lehey wrote,
> On Sunday, 10 October 1999 at 18:33:35 -0700, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> > On 10-Oct-99 at 18:05, Arcady Genkin (a.genkin@utoronto.ca) wrote:
> >> This discussion of backups to tape reminded me that I have always
> >> wondered, why do some people chose tape as backup solution for desktop
> >> pc's.
[snip]
> > If you want multiple generations; and/or have many disks or systems
> > to backup, you can't beat the price per bit or reliability of tape.
>
> This used to be the correct answer.  I'm no longer sure it is.
> Certainly I think that the current generation of tape units is *much*
> less reliable than hard disk.  The media are cheaper, but when I
> consider the number of DDS drives I wore out doing regular daily
> backups, I think that backing up to disk might have been cheaper.

Which is why I do both. Daily incrementals go to HDD, and the weekly
level 0's that are archived "forever[0]" go on tape.

[0] How long this is is a very ugly and complicated question... which
    I will once again learn next week trying to get some old code off
    our old (10+ years) VAX backups tapes. But I'm not starting that
    thread.