Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:30:02 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <djp@polands.org>
To:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:18:50AM -0400, Bob Bomar wrote:
> I went to install Netscape6 from the ports, but its marked
> as forbidden, so I pulled the browsers from netscape.
> But when I went to install various versions (6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, and 7)
> they all require glibc 2.1.3 and 2.2.  After reading some
> archives, I found that glibc is not and will not be a part
> of FBSD libraries.
>
> What can I do to install Netscape? (higher than 4.79)
> --

You can either install Mozilla 1.0.1 (FreeBSD native or Linux) today,
or wait till the Netscape 7.0 port is committed (when ????).

Netscape (with some minor UI candy) is now built from Mozilla so
you're getting the same product, just a different name.

Using Mozilla you'll be better able to keep up with changes to stable
and development branches.  The Netscape version is several months
behind the stable Mozilla build.

--
Regards,
Doug