Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:47:38 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Justin R. Smith" <jsmith@drexel.edu>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Crash on shutdown

At 7:58 AM -0400 10/24/04, Justin R. Smith wrote:
>FreeBSD jsmith.org 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Oct 22 04:33:03
>EDT 2004     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386
>
>On shutdown I got:

Is this a plain 'shutdown', or is it 'shutdown -p' or 'shutdown -r'?

>Giving up on 1 buffers
>Fatal trap 12; page fault while in kernel mode
>cpuid = 0, apic id = 00
>Fault virtual address 0x34
>Fault code = Supervisor read page not present
>Instruction pointer 0x8:0xc0449f2c
>Stack pointer = 0x10:0x03a94a0c
>Code segment = base 0x0 limitg 0xfffff type 0x1b

Which ethernet card are you using?
I have the problem with a panic at 'shutdown -p', which seems to be
tied to the driver for 'vr' ethernet combined with ACPI.  I have been
talking about it in a thread with the subject:
     Panic during 'shutdown -p' on 5.3-RC1

If you boot up with ACPI disabled, do you still get a panic at
shutdown?