Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:29:45 -0800
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Use of pipe with gzip | more

I was examining a large gzipped text file (about 6MB zipped) using

$ gzip -cd file.gz | more

and used "/[text]" to attempt to find a line that didn't exist. As indicated by
top, "more" consumed all available CPU for a very long time, its PRI value
rising to over 100 before it finally reported "Pattern not found". The elapsed
time was a couple of orders of magnitude more than if I had unzipped the file
first, and then run "more" on the unzipped file. However, some files I do this
on are so large that unzipping first places a burden on available file space.

Is this a legitimate use of a pipe?

In other situations, piping output from "gzip -cd" through other commands to
"more", I've encountered quasi-infinite waits, and ended up aborting the
command.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna