Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:28:06 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH, Sessions, Connections from the outside.

Im using ipfilter.
I do have ICMP traffic blocked.  I believe from the logs that
198.107.27.228 was you pinging me.
But I haven't changed the ruleset in months.  Can't see why that is the
problem, because
all the people who are trying to connect to the box, get the login
prompt, but after they enter the user/pass
they get a session pasword box to enter a session password.  Something I
don't get from inside the lan.
My IP is 68.39.132.244.  As far as the firewall is concerned.  Port 22
is open.  Here is my ruleset ->

# ed0 is the external interface, IP w,x,y,z
# fxp0 is the internal interface, IP 192.168.0.1

# default policy
block in log from any to any
block out log from any to any

# loopback interface
pass in quick on lo0 from any to any
pass out quick on lo0 from any to any

# allow traffic to flow freely within internal network
pass in on fxp0 from 192.168.0.0/16 to any
pass out on fxp0 from any to 192.168.0.0/16

# allow ssh connections
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 22 flags S keep state
keep frags

# allow all outbound connections, initiated by me
pass out on ed0 proto tcp from any to any flags S keep state keep frags
pass out on ed0 proto icmp from any to any keep state
pass out on ed0 proto udp from any to any keep state

# allow ISP dhcp server to touch my box
pass in on ed0 proto udp from 10.109.104.1/32 to any port = 68

# Pass in www traffic
pass in on ed0 proto tcp from any to 192.168.0.2 port = 80 flags S keep
state keep frags

# Pass in mail traffic
pass in quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to 192.168.0.2 port = 25 flags S
keep state keep frags

Thanks

--
Gerard Samuel