Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:08:32 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        proclus realm <proclus@iname.com>, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        Chris Coleman <ccoleman@oreilly.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, <editors@daemonnews.org>, <op-tech@openpackages.org>, Chevell <chevell@chevell.net>, <finlay.dobbie@btinternet.com>, <rrp@mac.com>, John Martellaro <martellaro@apple.com>, Chris Turkel <zizban@adelphia.net>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <rms@gnu.org>, <reg8@cornell.edu>, Rob Braun <bbraun@synack.net>
Subject:   Re: The Darwin Collection and OpenPackages

On 02/01/02 18:13, "proclus@iname.com" <proclus@iname.com> wrote:

> As part of the GNU-Darwin/TDC initiative, we now have fully functional
> FreeBSD-style pkg_install binaries for Darwin, so that with respect to
> the ports and packages, Darwin is a new FreeBSD.  This functionality was
> easily portable to x86-Darwin, and was in fact largely developed on that
> platform.  In addition, we have preliminary working FreeBSD-style
> pkg_install binaries for GNU/Linux, OpenBSD, and Tru64 Alpha operating
> systems, with more on the way.

Out of curiosity, how does the gnu-darwin system manage the darwin/ppc
environment as found on MacOSX?  As you may notice from my email headers,
I've got a few OSX boxes lying around, and would dearly love to have a
FreeBSD-esque ports/ system for it.  It would seem from first glance, that
this is more likely to happen by driving darwin/ppc patches back into the
gnu-darwin system, and onwards from there.

Regards,
    -aDe [@FreeBSD.org]